With facilities built by the Civilian Conservation Corps, Lewis and Clark State Park preserves a large tract of lowland old growth forest. Eight miles of hiking trails in the park include an interpretive loop through the heart of old growth forests. The park offers horse trails and a popular campground as well. The park also manages the nearby John R. Jackson Courthouse. Built in 1845, it is the first pioneer house west of the Cascades and north of the Columbia River. Tours are available by appointment.